Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Binge shopping

What have I been buying? Books as usual! For the physics books, I prefer the latest editions. But my diet in literature remains vintage. Today's menu includes The Plague by Albert Camus and Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. I hope these thin volumes will keep me occupied until I recover from the depression in my mind and the inflation in my knee. Its impossible to run out of books in Kolkata, thanks to College Street.
The pigs had an even harder struggle to counteract the lies put about by Moses, the tame raven. Moses, who was Mr. Jones's especial pet, was a spy and a tale-bearer, but he was also a clever talker. He claimed to know of the existence of a mysterious country called Sugarcandy Mountain, to which all animals went when they died. It was situated somewhere up in the sky, a little distance beyond the clouds, Moses said. In Sugarcandy Mountain it was Sunday seven days a week, clover was in season all the year round, and lump sugar and linseed cake grew on the hedges. The animals hated Moses because he told tales and did no work, but some of them believed in Sugarcandy Mountain, and the pigs had to argue very hard to persuade them that there was no such place.
As all bibliophiles in Kolkata know, College Street is where all books go when they die. So, when in need of used books at competitive prices, dress your worst, revise your haggling tactics, head straight to College Street and shop till you drop.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:34:00 PM, Anonymous pal_n said...

I'm taking a trip to kolkata and really excited about visiting college street. so when i googled "haggling in college street kolkata" i was directed here. thanks for the "...dress your worst" bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home