Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Pianist

I was led to believe that The Plague is a metaphoric treatment of the French resistance to Nazi occupation during World War II. So in order to give myself a visual reminder of those times, I wanted to watch Schindler's List. But, I could not find the CD. So I settled for something else, The Pianist.

The Pianist is a memoir written by the Polish musician of Jewish origins Władysław Szpilman. He tells how he survived the German deportations of Jews to extermination camps, the 1943 destruction of the Warsaw Ghetto, and the 1944 Warsaw Uprising during World War II.

But, its not the book that I'm talking about right now. What I needed was a visual shock! If there is one director, whom you can always entrust the business of shocking people, it is, in my humble opinion, Roman Polański. So I opted for the film version of The Pianist adapted by Ronald Harwood and filmed by Roman Polański.

Now, I'm sure, whatever I might write about Polański might be better articulated by my fellow bloggers. So, what do my friends have to say about all this stuff?

Smallprint: This is not the first Polański movie that I watched. That title goes to the Bitter Moon. But, I dare not write about it in large fontsizes.

3 Comments:

At Friday, August 05, 2005 12:31:00 AM, Blogger babelfish said...

hem hem, I shouldn't dare to comment on Polanski in public but I will admit I feel nauseated if I think of him..which is not an insult, please note..I saw Bitter Moon and I rather think that being revolted by it was the only compliment one can pay to a director of his calibre and brilliance..and The Pianist was truly haunting...

 
At Friday, August 05, 2005 12:33:00 AM, Blogger babelfish said...

And umm if you don't have a server problem, which is the standard excuse of all blog strikers, please post... :D

 
At Saturday, August 06, 2005 3:21:00 AM, Blogger Sayan Chakraborti said...

No server problems here! Just exam problems, scholarship problems and report writing problems.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home